Summary: The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for the day-to-day tasks necessary to ensure accurate and timely delivery of medications to the end-user in long-term care, hospice, and home care settings.
Qualifications: Success is based on the performance of the essential duties and responsibilities. Candidates shall also possess the following educational and/or work experience.
- High school graduate or equivalent preferred.
- Prior pharmacy experience desirable.
- Candidates whom are already employed by Skilled Care Pharmacy will be considered for this position based on performance of their current assignment.
- State of Ohio Pharmacy Technician Registration
- Good manual dexterity with the ability to measure minute quantities of liquids using syringes.
- Good organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to fill orders within an established time frame
- Ability to work with others
- Ability to examine, reexamine and verify accuracy of medications against printed prescription label
- Ability to interpret and understand medication directions to ensure filling accuracy
- Ability to distinguish medication types (i.e. liquids, creams, ointments, otics, controlled substances, etc.)
- Knowledge of basic drug terminology, pharmaceutical calculations, drug use and aseptic technique
- Basic knowledge of computers including word processing and data entry
- Dependable in attendance
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
I. FILLING PRESCRIPTIONS (50%)
- Dispense medications while observing proper handling precautions
- Dispense medications in proper container based on facility expectations
- Verify that all medications reflected on the delivery receipt accompany the order to the delivery department
- Fill prescription’s within established time frame
- Prepare compounding medications with use of pharmacy scales, compound pads, jars, etc.
- Complete compounding records by filling out lot numbers and expiration dates
- Verify that proper handling precautions are noted on delivery receipt
- Generate labels and/or delivery receipts
- Count and sort prescriptions for those facilities participating in the anniversary program
- Prepare appropriate logs for tracking monthly accuracy
- Prioritize and manage time appropriately
II. TEAM DUTIES/CROSS TRAINING (15%)
- Assist any other pharmacy team in completing end of day
- Monitor day-to-day activity in whole of pharmacy to ensure a proper departure time
- Participate in education on other areas (i.e. IV’s, automed, credits/returns, etc.)
- Go to facility to deliver and set up medication carts for anniversary program
- Periodic “out” days with consultant to understand business of long term care pharmacy
- Other duties as assigned
III. INVENTORY (10%)
- Daily review of medication and supply stock with responsibility to reorder through the purchasing department
- Periodic review of medication bins to assure that correct medication is in correct bin
- Monthly review of all medications for expiration dating. Fast moving items should be reviewed on a daily basis
- Examination of medications and supplies returned for credit to assure expiration dating and lack of tampering
IV. STATION SET-UP (10%)
- Stock filling stations with the necessary supplies (boxes, vials, forms, baggies, reorder slips, etc.)
- Stock all fast moving items as per minimum/maximum requirements
V. CLEANING (5%)
- Clean and maintain area on a daily basis. This includes using alcohol on surface areas
- Take out trash and/or cardboard
- Sweep area on a weekly basis
VI. EUCLID PACKING MACHINE (5%)
- Ensure equipment is cleaned and maintained according to proper policy and procedures
- Package bulk medications into unit dose for dispensing
- Keeping track and pulling those items needing to be packed (on a priority type basis)
- Ability to distinguish units of measure (ex. IU, mg, meq, etc.)
- Ability to distinguish lot numbers and expiration dates on medications
VII. COMMITTEES (5%)
- Participate in departmental quality assurance activities as requested
- Attend designated departmental meetings as scheduled
- Active involvement with at least one committee in order to improve company performance or assist company in giving back to the community